Earnest offers low-cost personal loans for debt consolidation and important life expenses to financially responsible applicants with promising professional futures. The online lender collects and analyzes thousands of data points, not just credit score and history, to assess risk and offer low rates, even to those with short credit histories.
Launched in 2014, Earnest offers loans with fixed rates as low as 6.99% for loan amounts ranging from $5,000 to $75,000.
Not just a lender, Earnest prides itself in building long-term relationships with their borrowers by ensuring customer satisfaction with their specialized Client Happiness team.
Like what you’re reading so far? Find out the good, the bad, and my breakdown of Earnest personal loans below.
|Credit Score||Above 720|
Borrowers are evaluated beyond credit scores and include saving habits, education and earning potential. Earnest likes to see that you have enough savings to cover at least 2 months of normal expenses, you spend less than you earn, you have increasing bank account balances, you do not carry large amounts of credit card and personal loan debt, you have a history of making payments on-time and you are not regularly charged late, overdraft or NSF (Non-Sufficient Funds) fees.
- No collateral required. Don’t own a house? It’s not going to be an issue here.
- Simple application process. Just head over to Earnest’s website and apply online.
- No origination fee. There’s no “middleman” fee, so you’ll receive the full amount of your loan.
- Flexible fund use. A personal loan through Earnest can be used for refinancing high-interest credit card debt, buying an engagement ring, renovations, weddings, and more.
- Competitive fixed rate. With excellent credit, your APR could be as low as 6.99%, and that won’t budge for the entire duration of your loan term.
- Low fees. There are no prepayment, late or check processing fees. There is an NSF fee of $8, but that’s lower than the industry standard of $15.
- Client Happiness team. Personal customer care that will handle any service questions or issues for the life of your loan.
- Earnest app. Manage your loan and make payments directly from your smartphone. You have full access to your dashboard and can even adjust your payments or make additional payments.
- High standards. Earnest likes creditworthy borrowers, so you must have a decent credit score, high income and projected credit potential in order to get your loan approved.
- Not available in all states. You can’t apply for an Earnest personal loan if you live in Alabama, Delaware, Kentucky, Nevada or Rhode Island.
- Hard credit check. This can affect your credit score. It pulls information from major credit bureaus and receives timely payment reports.
- Funding time. Earnest has unique underwriting standards, which takes time. It will be at least a few business days before you receive your funds.
- Online only. Earnest does not have any brick-and-mortar branches to make payments or ask questions in person.
All applicants must have a minimum credit score of 680 and must not have declared bankruptcy in the last 3 years nor have any open collections accounts. There is no minimum annual income requirement and no debt-to-income ratio requirement.
Earnest Rates, Terms & Fees
|Loan Amounts||$5,000 – $75,000|
|Loan Terms||3 to 5 years|
|Time To Funding||Within a week|
|Repayments||Monthly payments over 3 to 5 year terms|
|APR||6.99% – 18.24%|
Applying to Earnest for a personal loan is quick and easy, with no collateral required. There are no origination, prepayment, check processing or late fees, and the insufficient funds fee is almost half of what their competition charges. If you’re creditworthy, Earnest rates can be as low as 6.99%. After you receive your loan, things should be smooth sailing with the high-tech Earnest app and the help of their Client Happiness team.
|Loan Term||48 months|
To qualify for Earnest’s low end of rates, you must have a decent credit score, high income and projected credit worth. Otherwise, you could pay as high as 18.24% APR. The application requires a hard credit check, which will knock off points on your credit score. Funding takes about a few business days. Unfortunately, personal loans at Earnest are not available in Alabama, Delaware, Kentucky, Nevada or Rhode Island, and there are no brick and mortar branches.
- Earnest Review 2018: Personal Loans With Standout Customer Experience
- Best Personal Loan Lenders For September 2018
- SoFi Review: Personal Loans $5,000 To $100,000 With Unemployment Protection
- Getting A Wells Fargo Personal Loan Up To $100,000
- Prosper Personal Loans Review 2018: Low Rate Loans Up To $40,000
- LendingTree Review 2018: Sit Back and Let Lenders Come to You
- PersonalLoans.com Review 2018: Personal Loans For Less Creditworthy Borrowers
- Peerform Review: Personal Loans With Debt Consolidation Perks
- LightStream Review 2018: Personal Loans $5,000 To $100,000
- Avant Review 2018: Personal Loans For The Typical Middle-Class American
- Upstart Review 2018: Personal Loans By Ex-Googlers
- PenFed Credit Union Personal Loans Review 2018
- Best Egg Review 2018: Personal Loans With Option To Borrow Twice
- OneMain Review 2018: Personal Loans For Bad Credit Borrowers
- Payoff Review 2018: Personal Loans For High-Interest Credit Card Debt